Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cracked Screen

Thanks
    Hi
    I was also so unfortunate to drop my Adam at a hard surface - at least to hard! It got a clean crack right across. The screen is however still working and the cracked surface still responding.
    I have been searching on the internet and figured out, that the touch-screen is either Touch Panel 1013V04 or Touch Panel 3FA16-A1CC4H according to the FCC dokumentation. Now from there I am a bit stuck. Which one is the right on for the Pixel Qi I can probably see when disassembling Adam. Where to buy it or a compatible one, seems to be the difficult part. Has anyone out there figured this out? Realistically, its going to be a returning issue to replace screen on these gadgets!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guffe View Post
    Hi
    I was also so unfortunate to drop my Adam at a hard surface - at least to hard! It got a clean crack right across. The screen is however still working and the cracked surface still responding.
    I have been searching on the internet and figured out, that the touch-screen is either Touch Panel 1013V04 or Touch Panel 3FA16-A1CC4H according to the FCC dokumentation. Now from there I am a bit stuck. Which one is the right on for the Pixel Qi I can probably see when disassembling Adam. Where to buy it or a compatible one, seems to be the difficult part. Has anyone out there figured this out? Realistically, its going to be a returning issue to replace screen on these gadgets!
    Both touch surfaces are actually identical. The LCD vs PQI screen is the interchangeable part. The Magnesium chassis, touch surface and plastic border are all the same. Every model.

I am currently sitting on around 10 usable touch surfaces. These units (which fit all models) CANNOT be sold as 'new' as each and every one has a minor flaw which prevents it from being sold. These flaws range from nicks and small scratches on the screen or on the plastic housing. We do have a few that are unresponsive due to hardware malfunctioning in capacative buttons and degradation in touch response. These units have been deemed broken as treated the same as a broken screen. This is because there is almost no way to replace either of the control circuits on the Touch Panel. The glass is joined to 2 individual layers with a PET adhesive gasket about .015" thick. This unit joins the glass, to the magnesium chassis, which in turn is 'riveted' (plastic nubs melted through the chassis) to the plastic border that meshes with the honeycomb semi-cylinder that backs the battery pack.

Trust me on this, i have repaired more of these units than anyone else at this point. I have tried many methods of separating this touch surface for replacement of those underlying components, as well as a full case modification in which i was making the adam completely flat much like the ipad, without the camera, new battery pack the works.(as i use AC and ICS cam dont matter). I have cooked these units in a lab oven increasing the temperature to the brink of desoldering components. I have soaked the entire screen in a vat of acetone allowing hours for the glue to become liquid again. This method was the ONLY successful attempt without further annihilating the screen. That being said, refurbishing dysfunctional touch surfaces is almost improbable to attempt without proper tools and knowledge of chemical reactions and melting points of materials. Then you have to commit to losing a good 6 hours of your life with cleaning and preparing the surface for either a new skeleton, or reassembly with a replaced component. The screen all by itself is VERY fragile.

Please be patient fellas!!!

I am working on getting some sort of program in the works here, allowing us to resell (at a obvious discount due to minor flaws) slightly used FUNCTIONING touch panels for those who wish to DIY or need a replacement done at my facility. Its important to keep the long term customers happy. NI is not ignoring you all i promise this. Fact of the matter is its difficult to obtain small quantities of these screens now. Adam I for obvious reasons will/is no longer in production. Small quantities are expensive, supply and demand 101. I am trying to make this possible for a few other refurbished components as well. Its important to NI, keeping their customers happy, its obvious some are very unhappy. For those of you still supporting, keep sending me emails and suggestions, I will keep growing our capabilities

This community alone speaks for itself!

As always, Thanks Everyone for all of your help and support!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G Tech Labs For This Useful Post:

kwilson73 (02-21-2012), Loftus (02-20-2012)

Thanks
    I must say that the detail and process in how you would separate the screen from the glass is incredible. Good luck in getting the reselling program going for DIY replacement, I'll keep you in mind should I need replacement parts. Speaking of parts...is it only the front of the adams that you have or whole units ? Just on the of chance that someone may need a replacement battery, usb daughter board, camera module etc. Thanks again for the tut on taking apart the screen.
    *Running JB-ROM CM10.1 for ADAM [WIP] - Alpha1, w/webcam drivers built in.*
    Research in progress: hardware USB webcam install to replace stock 3.2mp camera w/CM10.1 Borkata alpha build

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
    I must say that the detail and process in how you would separate the screen from the glass is incredible. Good luck in getting the reselling program going for DIY replacement, I'll keep you in mind should I need replacement parts. Speaking of parts...is it only the front of the adams that you have or whole units ? Just on the of chance that someone may need a replacement battery, usb daughter board, camera module etc. Thanks again for the tut on taking apart the screen.
    Absolutely! I am curious, there are plenty things in this world i have not disassembled yet, this was not one of those

As for the parts, yes, i cannot tell you how many i have, but it would be common that someone in my situation would have plenty!

If we can (i believe its only a matter of time) get this program launched i will have any parts anyone would need. Enough to just assemble refurbished whole units, quite a few at that.

This will at least keep the die hard fans on board. Those who want Adam 2 and are willing to part with Adam 1 will be able to sell their unit back for incentive to buy Adam 2. Knock a little off the price tag, much like an upgrade if you will. This would further fuel parts for Adam 1 potentially indefinitely. I wont know for a few weeks.

As soon as the website launches everything should be easy as pie (with the backing of NI) Hardcore DIY fans would be able to purchase replacements for any purpose! I will begin a post when we have answers.

Thanks for the Patience!!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G Tech Labs For This Useful Post:

Alexadam (02-22-2012), Loftus (02-21-2012), RU4Real (02-22-2012)

Regular
    Thanks
    Today my adam was returned by TNT where it got lost. So now I have my Adam back, but still with broken screen. I am of course very hesitant to try it again. But the again I am not really a DIY person in removing the glass from the screen. Is there an instruction video?
    Adam since 31 March 2011. Switched from Beast 2.2.1 to HC 16New June 20th to HC16New-KV2 July 1st, to Adamcomb v0.1 8 July, Cromnia beta 3 (Beast) 10 July, needed camera, 3 August AC03. January 2012 Adam for repair to Germany due to broken glass, still working after fall 2 feb 2012 Blackberry Playbook, fantastic love it. Adam returned glass repaired installed Icescream 4 Beta works excellent, changed to Jelly Bean beta WOW!

Thanks
    Well, today I managed to break the glass on my Adam, I somehow managed to drop both my Adam and my mug of coffee which was in the other hand, well don't think drop is the right word they both landed with such force. Adam still works even with a big crack and shattered glass in top right, even the grille next to the camera popped out.

Is it still possible to get these repaired via Notion Inks?
    Last edited by Ronski; 06-01-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks
    Yes. Just had my glass replaced (broken in the same spot as your glass) and charging circuit repaired/replaced about two months ago. In the United States, G Tech Labs is the repair center and I was impressed with the repair and quick turnaround. Just open a ticket with NI and they will get you on the path to repair.

Thanks
    Thanks for your reply, I presume I just email support at notionink dot com to open a ticket. Shouldn't matter that I've got ICS on there should it, although I will wipe my data/account just to be safe.

Thanks
    That is where you send your support request. I am sure it does not matter what ROM you are running. I haven't had a NI ROM installed in a year and it was not a problem for repair purposes.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist View Post
    Due to an accident involving the floor, and gravity, the glass front on my Adam's screen is now quite severely cracked. The rest of the tablet seems perfectly functional, and the underlying PQ screen is not damaged at all, it's just the glass front panel.

Would any of you gentlemen know a good way about how I could go about getting the glass replaced? The obvious option is to attempt to contact Notion Ink's support team, and see if I could purchase a replacement screen off them, and see if I could install it myself. Another option would be to give the measurements of the screen to a glass supplier, and see if I could get a replacement from another source.

Given the issues that many people have reported when trying to communicate with Notion Ink, this second idea may be a better option, and it would give me the opportunity to replace the screen with a more hard-wearing alternative (e.g. gorilla glass). A downside is that it may be prohibitively expensive.

Does anyone here have any ideas as to how to go about sourcing, or fitting a new glass screen?

I would suggest you to get the glass replaced by Notion Link's support team.This will keep the quality alive.Giving measurement to the
    glass supplier to get the job done would be a tedious task. I hope this helps.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads