Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Battery replacement

Thanks

Battery replacement

Has anyone tried to replace the battery with a 4400mAh, 11.1V battery (the one in Adam is 11.v 2200mAh)? I am also seriously thinking of trying a Li-Ion polymer battery (the flat thin kind in ipads and other thinner tablets). But the amps are slightly high. I wish someone knows good about volts and amps who could guide me with this. I was thinking of coupling a few in series to get to the volts required. I am assuming, we need to keep the 11.1V constant but mAh should matter. I am not sure of the discharge rate of the original battery. Thanks guys.

Thanks
    I'm not a hardware guru by any means, but I can make a few educated guesses.

You are right that the voltage is the most important thing, so the replacement battery or batteries should be pretty close to the same.

For discharge, the more amperage the better, so a 4400mAh battery should be expected to last a lot longer than a 2200mAh one, if both are rated fairly. The problem may be in charging the battery. If you were trying to get Adam's charging circuitry to charge a much larger battery, that might cause trouble.

Also I seem to recall that the 3 cells of Adam's battery, connected in series, have taps off them, and these are somehow involved in monitoring the batteries.

Perhaps an easier alternative would be to make an external battery pack, that would plug into the jack where you plug the AC adapter. You could include a couple of deep cycle 12v batteries in series, that would power the Adam for a LONG time, at the expense of a really heavy backpack. ;-) You would, of course, have to find out what the AC adapter output is and match it reasonably closely.
    Notion Ink Adam, LCD 3G, received 17 Feb 2011, working fine thanks to EDENx 2.7.1. Also a continually-rebooting Nexus One .

3. The Following User Says Thank You to linuxbz For This Useful Post:

sgvparel (08-13-2011)

Thanks
    I didnt see those taps and I believe you right about it. I will have to check and see what I can do! meanwhile if anyone has any ideas, please help. I have gotten about 3 or a bit more hrs of use from it when (airplane mode on with wifi on) and playing some regular games (I left my kid do it so I could check to see how long it lasted). Now I hardly get 1 or 2, but that is with the AdamComb 0.3. Maybe that is what is kind of draining things a bit more than the rooted 2.3 version. Thank you very much linuxbz!

Thanks
    Something definitely wrong if you are only getting 1-2 hours.

Thanks
    I was checking the ipad 2 battery and they have 3 of Li-poly 3.7v battery but at a higher mAh that gives it the 10 hr use time. I am trying to see what I can do to make the same. I did come across a li-ion cylindrical battery at 3.7V at 4400mAh and one at 9000+ mAh batteries of the same size of the Adam original. Have to find out if it would work.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sgvparel For This Useful Post:

Alexadam (08-15-2011)

Thanks
    I am hoping there is someone who manage to find out how to change battery to bigger capacity (10 hours of usage will be good !)

battery drain during standby wise, I guess we just need to live with it

Regular
    Thanks
    I agree. Full battery last night 20:00. The on standby for the night and then this morning at 8:30 warning 15%, but forgot to switch to flight mode though that should have no impact. I feel so silly to bring a charger to the office where my colleague with his Ipad is still at 95%!!! With flight mode battery us is better but still a disappointing 5-6 hrs.
    Adam since 31 March 2011. Switched from Beast 2.2.1 to HC 16New June 20th to HC16New-KV2 July 1st, to Adamcomb v0.1 8 July, Cromnia beta 3 (Beast) 10 July, needed camera, 3 August AC03. January 2012 Adam for repair to Germany due to broken glass, still working after fall 2 feb 2012 Blackberry Playbook, fantastic love it. Adam returned glass repaired installed Icescream 4 Beta works excellent, changed to Jelly Bean beta WOW!

Thanks
    Adam's battery capacity iPad's about 1 / 3.
    E-book mode, even though driving time is really short and disappointing.
    So iPad equal to the capacity of the battery pack is going to need renovation.

Thanks
    I recall a thread on the old Notion Ink Hacks forum (pre move) on this issue. The OP obtained some 4000 mAh (or thereabouts) batteries and did install them. End result was no significant improvement in battery life - but that may have been related to the quality of batteries he obtained. They were Li-ion, not Li-poly batteries.

You could buy a battery booster device on Amazon that plugs into the charger socket. They are expensive, but a bit lighter than a couple of 12V deep cycle batteries.
    If it aint broke, hit it harder

Thanks
    batt-board.jpg
    It is a compact battery module. Cells are not hooked on the board itself is a serial connected nine trillion this is a simple charging circuit? For the protection circuit, or the overall management of the circuit, whether the battery cell Does anyone know? After replacing a 3000mA capacity of the cells to see how much use I will check that the operating time is shorter still, the same amount of cells connected in parallel with the full battery capacity I need to make to 6000mA. Adam's appearance, but looks a little fat and weird.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads