Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Battery replacement

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by akmakun View Post
    Attachment 534
    It is a compact battery module. Cells are not hooked on the board itself is a serial connected nine trillion this is a simple charging circuit? For the protection circuit, or the overall management of the circuit, whether the battery cell Does anyone know? After replacing a 3000mA capacity of the cells to see how much use I will check that the operating time is shorter still, the same amount of cells connected in parallel with the full battery capacity I need to make to 6000mA. Adam's appearance, but looks a little fat and weird.
    I like the picture and your initiative to try to do something, I'm very interested, but don't understand a single word you say.
    Can someone help me to interpret, or help him to share his thoughts with us?
    Please?

Thanks
    There are taps from between cells as mentioned in an earlier reply. I am thinking that the center taps are for controlling charge/ discharge cycles more evenly compared to normal charging them as one unit. This I learned helps in extending life of each cell a little longer than the latter method. Li-ion and Li-poly cells must have a protection circuit to protect it from overcharging which could heat it up and become a small bomb. I would like to think that the circuit board there should be the charging and protection circuit.

I got a bit busy with things and have not been able to look into it further. The batteries I came across unfortunately had no welded leads of them which means I will have to try to solder them myself which then means will damage the cells a bit. They need to be spot welded or something like that. Li-Polymer ones are flat ones and we need 3 of them to really get it working as each cell is only 3.7V. I will need to get my hands on this project soon enough. Anything I find I will post. Please provide tips or info. Thanks.
    Last edited by sgvparel; 09-21-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Thanks
    I played around with my Adam some time ago, tried to replace the original cells with 3000mah Samsung bought on ebay. Shortly - it did not work.

Details: I'm not an expert in hardware guts, but accurately disassembled the batblock and desoldered the cells. Those original are 3.7V but new one, although marked as 3.7, are actually 4.2 when fully charged, so when installed into Adams power board (all polarity and "sensors" correctly connected), they did not produce any voltage on boards output connectors =( Seems like there is some over-voltage protection, but no voltage cut-over, so it just does not allow higher voltage input. So I just had to put it all back together and leave it alone, likely it worked fine afterwards.

May be this would save someones time.

Thanks
    3.6/3.7 V is just the nominal voltage for cells of this type (lithium ion, size 18650 or so). Fully charged they'll give you about 4.2 V - all of them, even those originally in the adam. So, that shouldn't be the issue here.

Thanks
    Thought the same actually, but practice tells otherwise Though as I recall, Adam's original fully charged were 3.7, but not sure.

Resident
    Thanks
    This is getting very interesting. I think this is the most important project for ensuring that the tablet keeps on working for another year or two.

Thanks
    After my clinical rotations started I havent been able to pursue this project fully. But now I might have some time and am going to buy some Li-Po 3.7v cells and connect them and see if it work. I am sure NI did these batteries to cut cost and for the design. But I think they could have gone Li-Po like ipad. Acer Iconia has a 7.4v 3000+mAh cell. Anyway I am going to order them tonight. hopefully work on the connections and charging in the next week or so. Although it worries me I seriously dont want to end up like what PsychodelEKS's project ended up with. Will post the results then.

Regular
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sgvparel View Post
    After my clinical rotations started I havent been able to pursue this project fully. But now I might have some time and am going to buy some Li-Po 3.7v cells and connect them and see if it work. I am sure NI did these batteries to cut cost and for the design. But I think they could have gone Li-Po like ipad. Acer Iconia has a 7.4v 3000+mAh cell. Anyway I am going to order them tonight. hopefully work on the connections and charging in the next week or so. Although it worries me I seriously dont want to end up like what PsychodelEKS's project ended up with. Will post the results then.
    Best o f luck. would be interested in the result. Btw does anyone have any information on whether NI would change cells if required and at what cost? Whether they will spport the hardware of Adam after launch of Adam2?
    Last edited by Ramana; 02-10-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Resident
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramana View Post
    Best o f luck. would be interested in the result. Btw does anyone have any information on whether NI would change cells if required and at what cost? Whether they will spport the hardware of Adam after launch of Adam2?
    I think they haven't responded to it yet. On the other hand, having to ship the tablet to them and waiting for its return might be too much time and money.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Battery replacement by NI is feasible. I just sent my Adam to them so that they can change battery.
    Cost? 30$ for the battery + 13$ work + shipping cost to the service center (20$n for me, I am based in Europe)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads