Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Loftus

Thread: Microphone Improvement

Thanks

Microphone Improvement

Not satisfied with the stock microphone location/setup as the audio in my videos wasn't as clean as I thought it could be. By removing the stock rubber mounting material (which forces sound to come in through small mic hole and then tunnel it up to the mic pickup) I mounted the mic directly over the mic hole as I felt this gave a more improved quality and less noise. If I moved side to side quickly I noticed a sound like crackling/air rushing by sound. This has minimized this in my findings. If you do open the case it is the least invasive mod but gives better sound pickup.

http://s938.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow
    Last edited by Loftus; 07-26-2011 at 03:53 AM. Reason: spelling
    Alexadam likes this.
    *Running JB-ROM CM10.1 for ADAM [WIP] - Alpha1, w/webcam drivers built in.*
    Research in progress: hardware USB webcam install to replace stock 3.2mp camera w/CM10.1 Borkata alpha build

Thanks
    I went as far as to replace the mic with one a friend had from a professional grade headset. However it was aparent that the reason he had the mic as spare was because it was damaged and wouldn't sound right. I'm still on the lookout for another mic to try. The worst part of the othe mic not working was I made physical changes to the chassis to make it fit (should have tried it outside the case prior to moding). Live and learn

Sent from my Adam using Tapatalk

Regular
    Thanks
    I like this. When using apps such as Talking Ben for my small childeren the "recording" is pretty bad with lots of noise when Adam is moved. But I am a little hesitant in opening up my Adam, as have little engineering capabilities. What kind of screws are used, is that standard and how tight are they to be put back in.
    Adam since 31 March 2011. Switched from Beast 2.2.1 to HC 16New June 20th to HC16New-KV2 July 1st, to Adamcomb v0.1 8 July, Cromnia beta 3 (Beast) 10 July, needed camera, 3 August AC03. January 2012 Adam for repair to Germany due to broken glass, still working after fall 2 feb 2012 Blackberry Playbook, fantastic love it. Adam returned glass repaired installed Icescream 4 Beta works excellent, changed to Jelly Bean beta WOW!

Thanks
    Alexadam; check here the details for opening the NI device. Adam Teardown

Regular
    Thanks
    Well I dropped my Adam so glass is shatered although Adam still working perfectly. tells you something about build quality. The benefit is it has almost opened itself now. Any experience is replacing the glass? Love to replace it with some Corning Gorilla glas
    DSC00794.jpgDSC00799.jpg
    Adam since 31 March 2011. Switched from Beast 2.2.1 to HC 16New June 20th to HC16New-KV2 July 1st, to Adamcomb v0.1 8 July, Cromnia beta 3 (Beast) 10 July, needed camera, 3 August AC03. January 2012 Adam for repair to Germany due to broken glass, still working after fall 2 feb 2012 Blackberry Playbook, fantastic love it. Adam returned glass repaired installed Icescream 4 Beta works excellent, changed to Jelly Bean beta WOW!

Thanks
    ouch that glass looks pretty bad

I'm likely going to be carrying out this microphone improvement mod when I get some time, but while I was looking at those pictures, there seems to be so much space along the bottom of the adam. Heck, mine doesn't even the 3G card so there's absolutely nothing there.
    You guys think it'll work if I modded a TRS connector in there for an external mic input, and connect a 3 way switch to the + lead to select between the internal or external? Of course, any stereo mic would work only with one channel, but that's alright...

I shouldn't need any extra components or circuits since the internal mic just connects to the leads right?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BleeD View Post
    connect a 3 way switch to the + lead to select between the internal or external?
    Your on the same track as me in that thinking. I picked up a dual dipswitch switch from a electronics supplier and will be installing it in the location of the current microphone (flush mounted and plenty of room behind for depth of swtich). I'll be installing a new microphone up into the right side of the camera (right removable grip section) as I see this as being a better location as it will be aimed at the people who your video recording when the tablet is lying flat (thanks to the rotating camera). The microphone is connected to the leads as a direct solder to the back of the motherboard. If you look closely there is a unused connector on the top side of the motherboard in the same place as where the mic is connected too. My thinking is that NI decided to just solder the mic to the motherboard instead of using the connector (I'm almost positive there is picks somewhere of of the mic connected via that connector). The dipswitch I'll be using for another idea, not switching between a external mic but for switching Auto Focus power on/off to the camera. I just like the current mic location for the dip switch installation.

Keep us updated if you install the external mic.
    *Running JB-ROM CM10.1 for ADAM [WIP] - Alpha1, w/webcam drivers built in.*
    Research in progress: hardware USB webcam install to replace stock 3.2mp camera w/CM10.1 Borkata alpha build

Remove Ads