Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Wi-Fi antenna upgrade

Thanks
    where do you like, in the message or on picasa account, for example

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laszlok53 View Post

The WiFi and the Bluetooth: my problem is not the modulation or the switching between their use of the antenna. It is the connection itself, as the Bluetooth circuit connected to the same antenna as the an other sender-receiver - the WiFi in this case - declines the antennas properties. Even if the BT circuit is dormant, it is still connected and changes the antennas character. How much it interferes could be only seen if someone disconnected the BT circuit. I hope I made my point clear about this, 'cause I often feel my English insufficient when I see the answers. I often feel I should have formed my words differently. Please accept my apologies for those cases.
    I added a few more pics from the FFC teardown... http://s938.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow These show the wifi/bluetooth module exposed and no chance of physically seperating the two. Good idea though.

I will try the foil but please show us a pic of exactly what you mean and where your putting the foil. You can use a image hosting site such as Photobucket -> http://register.photobucket.com/ and sign up (same as my hosting site) to show us what you did. Maybe a pringles can made into a dock is my next project to boost wifi signal.....always thinking...
    *Running JB-ROM CM10.1 for ADAM [WIP] - Alpha1, w/webcam drivers built in.*
    Research in progress: hardware USB webcam install to replace stock 3.2mp camera w/CM10.1 Borkata alpha build

Thanks
    Well. I don't know how much you get out of this. As I explained I have this plastic stand originally made for iPad that I made to fit the ADAM.
    Since it resides below ADAM, and sits at it's middle, it seemed like a good idea to glue the foil on it instead of the ADAM.

You can experiment easiest by cutting off a bit of foil like 10x8 cm, and put it under the ADAM. The position should be about the middle as you have ADAM in landscape mode with the camera on the upright corner.

Does it make sense now? Feel free to ask!

IMAG0529.jpgIMAG0528.jpgIMAG0527.jpgIMAG0526.jpgIMAG0525.jpg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to laszlok53 For This Useful Post:

mauzza (07-29-2011)

Thanks
    Loftus, I just did that. I mean I uploaded some pics.

I began to experiment by putting a piece of foil of the size of the ADAM. Just like that, below it. It did give some gain, but as I understand where the main antenna is, I tried to decline the size, and just put the foil under the part there the antenna sits, BUT NOT ON THE SIDE, rather UNDER ADAM.

And it did a great difference. Now I have Skinomis coalfibre protection on the bottom, I did not want to glue the foil there, so i glued it under the plastic stand I usually use. Slightly less gain, but more then just good enough.

Did this description help?

Thanks
    I've noticed that the signal strength varies over 20dB according to WiFi analyzer just sitting still.
    As to adding foil to the case, you're increasing the ground plane by building a capacitor. The foil installed inside ADAM works as a ground plane. The antenna is the small circuit board. The foil is attached to the feedline shield.

At one time I thought that by changing how you held ADAM made a difference in the signal. I'm not so sure now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cx650t View Post
    I've noticed that the signal strength varies over 20dB according to WiFi analyzer just sitting still.
    As to adding foil to the case, you're increasing the ground plane by building a capacitor. The foil installed inside ADAM works as a ground plane. The antenna is the small circuit board. The foil is attached to the feedline shield.

At one time I thought that by changing how you held ADAM made a difference in the signal. I'm not so sure now.
    Hm... I don't think a capacitor is built, since it is not connected anywhere. As I understand of the behavior of the signal depending on the size, form and direction, the foil creates a "reflector" Since the antenna is roundradiating, the foil helps to capture some more signal, if the antenna is between the access-point and the foil.
    In some directions it might even decline the signal.

The grounding plate at the bottom by my understanding is there to protect from external signals into the ADAM. (?)

A strange behavior I dicovered: When I use the foil, the back of the ADAM gets much warmer. Something works harder I think but don't know what. It is most observed at the middle part of the ADAM

Thanks
    too bad we cannot just use this, http://www.mvixusa.com/product/solido, maybe even just the antenna, adding a port where this can be attached externally

Thanks
    laszlok53, i tried the foil trick but did'nt notice a real difference. Wifi analyzer just hangs on the same graph after a min or so so its hard to get a true measure. I use the wifi icon on notification area and see no difference at the far rooms in my home. If its working for others then there is hope we can make "wifi stands to better use our adams. Thanks for the feedback and pics of the foil idea.
    *Running JB-ROM CM10.1 for ADAM [WIP] - Alpha1, w/webcam drivers built in.*
    Research in progress: hardware USB webcam install to replace stock 3.2mp camera w/CM10.1 Borkata alpha build

Thanks
    Ive some times noticed that when i use the adam in a portrait mode with the power button facing up the signal is slightly better... and most importantly the wifi connects faster than when it is in landscape mode.... I now every time hold the adam in that way to let the wifi connect before i can use it in landscape mode.....

something to ponder on..... am not so sure if wifi signal slightly decreases when i cover the top end of the speaker with my hand..... ( i just feel that)

Thanks
    @Monty The wifi antenna is glued to the bottom side wall at the center of the tablet. I too find best reception when I have the bottom pointed away from my body

Sent from my Adam using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads