Thread: High resolution screen replacement

Thanks

High resolution screen replacement

A while ago I bought a 1366x768 screen and attempted to replace my pqi screen. I was optimistic since someone had made it work on the g-tab. However, it was not successful. The backlight came on but no picture. Myself and most other people did not have many ideas for what might be the problem, except that it's probably a driver/kernel issue or a problem with the resolution or both.
    Well I was thinking that time has passed and perhaps someone had gained more insight into the inner workings of the hardware and software of the Adam. Also I was thinking that perhaps the new 2.6.36 kernel from Rayman could fix the problem. So does anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks
    Even though I have no info on how to help you, I will say that I'm happy someone started up the replacement screen thread again. can you please share the info about the screen you purchased, and if you can, steps on the replacement process, I'm sure someone with more engineering know-how can get some hands on and definite feedback

ohh and any pics of the screen, that kinda stuff get people around here hot and bothered
    A man of few words....I can go on about this forever...

Thanks
    the all point of adam is pixel qi......
    otherwise get a transformer... pixel qi is much nicer without the lcd protector

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
    the all point of adam is pixel qi......
    otherwise get a transformer... pixel qi is much nicer without the lcd protector
    With you on that one, no protector on my screen. And how are you going to deal with the touch interface? Several reports now claim that the loss in resolution is due to the touch interface. Sebastian posted this at the NotionInkConclave:

Amazon also ran into trouble with the touchscreen technology it plans to use in the upcoming tablet. Last year, the company purchased Touchco, a multitouch project that grew out of the Media Research Lab at New York University. Touchco uses a technology called interpolating force-sensitive resistance, which is extremely inexpensive, costing as little as $10 a square foot. But engineers have had trouble integrating the technology into the Kindle e-readers as it can reduce the intensity and crispness of the screen.
    This is what PixelQi says happened with the Adam. So the question is, even if you replace your screen with a higher resolution, how are you going to deal with the touch interface?
    Adam PQi wifi+3G
    Order Group P03
    Currently running AdamComb 0.2

Thanks
    I have the LCD version.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHardware View Post
    I have the LCD version.....
    Yes, but even the LCD version is touch enabled. So you have to buy a TOUCH enabled replacement screen, or integrate a new screen with the Adam's existing touch interface (is that even possible?)
    Adam PQi wifi+3G
    Order Group P03
    Currently running AdamComb 0.2

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neitherfanboy View Post
    Yes, but even the LCD version is touch enabled. So you have to buy a TOUCH enabled replacement screen, or integrate a new screen with the Adam's existing touch interface (is that even possible?)
    I guess that's my interest in this thread....this isn't a new topic, this was heavily discussed on notionhacks.com (which is now TR.com) I'm hoping that we can do. A clean swap and retain every feature we have now and have better viewing angles.....if not possible. I can live with it...like I've said over and over....I love my Adam.

Thanks
    The dev's will be the best to answer this, i'm sure the resolution change is straight forward but more worrying is the no output, did the new screen cable go straight on or did you need an adapter?

Thanks
    Ok so first of all the switch is extremely easy. The hard part is opening the adam (which is not that hard), once it's open it's a matter of removing four screws and three cables (one of which is for the touch layer which sits on top of the screen (separately, so you just lift out the screen and put the other one in, very simple).

The lvds cable is a straight fit (excuse my bad hang over english). With another screen you might have to deal with the connector being on the wrong side and need a longer cable, but not with this one.

Ok and now on to the screen. It's a LP101WH1(TL)(B1) from LG. Supposedly it's the same screen as in the dell mini 1010. No pictures right now I'm afraid. I can mention though that it's pretty cheap from laptopscreens.com. Unfortunately I purchased it so long ago that I've forgotten most of the details about it. I'm pretty sure that I checked that the wiring in the connector is the same but maybe I'm wrong.

Whether or not it's the touch layer that's ruining the screen in don't know, but looking at it, it just looks like a seethrough piece of plastic.
    Last edited by Tinux; 07-23-2011 at 07:38 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinux For This Useful Post:

n378urn3r (12-19-2011)

Remove Ads