Thread: keep or remove the screen protector? (qi screen)

Thanks

Question keep or remove the screen protector? (qi screen)

I have just bought an used Adam with Pixel QI screen. It has a screen protector, I think it is the original one.
    What is the general wisdom about keeping or removing the protector? I have never seen the adam without it, so I can't compare. I read somewhere that most people remove it, but I'd like an advice for my scenario: QI screen, half of the time used outdoors with backlight off, half indoors with backlight on.
    Readability outside is the most important factor; right now indoors it looks rather blurry, but I can use a PC instead.

thank you
    alessandro

Thanks
    I scrapped my original protector and got a Skinomi. I've been very satisfied with this screen protector. I've got the LCD version, though, so can't speak to interaction with the PixelQi screen.

Thanks
    I removed it after half an hour (also bought my PQi Adam used).

The screen is MUCH sharper without it, and the glare you get from the screen is definetly manageable. I saw an image on this forum that shows the difference quite clearly (with an image where the protector is cut in half), I'll try finding that thread and come back.

EDIT: That thread is http://tabletroms.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2209

You can probably clean the protector and put it back if you change your mind.
    Last edited by firetech; 09-22-2011 at 06:52 AM.

Thanks
    My 2 cents worth. I have an LCD/Wifi model and used it for a few weeks without the screen protector. I did notice the glare, but that became manageable with time and practice. I noticed that I was beginning to get a few very tiny scratches on the screen and so I decided to put the screen protector on. Yes, the display was diminished slightly, but the glare was reduced. There are trade-offs for everything and I felt that having the screen protector on was a better fit for me. I eventually got used to my Adam with the screen protector on and I am happy with how it looks.

Part 2 of this story goes like this:

About 6 weeks ago, my 10 year old daughter was with me at Grandmas house and wanted to show off the Adam. I let her hold it and when she went to show it to Grandma, she dropped it and it fell flat on it's face on a hardwood floor. Everyone cringed at what we just saw unfold before us and with a deep sigh I slowly reached down and picked it up. Sure enough, the screen absorbed the damaged and began to crack in several places. By the end of the day, there were a dozen cracks in the screen. Fortunately, there is no degradation in the performance of the Adam. I know the screen protector is holding the glass in place and if I were to remove the screen protector, I am pretty sure I would have a couple of pieces of glass fall off. So, I gotta say that I am very happy with my screen protector.

I use my Adam daily and take it with me everywhere I go. I am still using Cromnia and lovin' it! I used it last Saturday night to watch a football game via my justintv app and an hdmi cable to a 42" tv. It worked flawlessly. The funny thing is that my buddy tried to use his macbook to do the same thing and he could not get the sound configured correctly. I hooked up my Adam and BAM!!! we were good to go!
    Notion Ink ADAM LCD/wifi
    Cromnia Rom was my favorite.
    Loved using VEGAn-GE-Adam.
    Currently running Jelly Bean - Beta 1

Resident
    Thanks
    I'm keeping the screen protector (I even ordered a spare from NI, but will probably only apply it after a year or two). I like matte better than glossy, especially when using the thing in brightly lit areas -- it makes a huge difference for me. I don't think it affects the sharpness in any discernible way. I have the Pixel Qi model and keep the brightness at minimum -- it looks like a glossy magazine and is very comfortable.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
    I'm keeping the screen protector (I even ordered a spare from NI, but will probably only apply it after a year or two). I like matte better than glossy, especially when using the thing in brightly lit areas -- it makes a huge difference for me. I don't think it affects the sharpness in any discernible way. I have the Pixel Qi model and keep the brightness at minimum -- it looks like a glossy magazine and is very comfortable.
    I second this.

Sent from my Adam using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by derapao View Post
    I have just bought an used Adam with Pixel QI screen. It has a screen protector, I think it is the original one.
    What is the general wisdom about keeping or removing the protector? I have never seen the adam without it, so I can't compare. I read somewhere that most people remove it, but I'd like an advice for my scenario: QI screen, half of the time used outdoors with backlight off, half indoors with backlight on.
    Readability outside is the most important factor; right now indoors it looks rather blurry, but I can use a PC instead.

thank you
    alessandro
    I use the LCD variant and I hated the display with the matte screen protector. And so, I got the transparent Skinomi protector and I am very pleased with the display now. That being said, I really don't know how the PQi display is. But my suggestion is: get rid of the matte screen protector and use the transparent screen protector instead. Don't leave the device without the screen protector.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
    Ameya

Thanks
    Kept mine on for about 2 months took it off now and the screen looks so much better. With the screen protector it looked blury. I now use a skinomi one. Seems much better but does not fit well. Seems about 5mm to small. Anyone else have this problem?

PS. I have the PQi version
    Last edited by Dee1226; 09-23-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks
    I removed min a week ago.

I did put the screen protector on before even turning the Adam on for the first time. So I didn't know, how much it affected the appearance. Last week, my wife and I walked by the Xoom, and she said something like "That screen looks so much crisper than ours, Why?" At first I wanted to blame it on the the PQi, but then i remembered the screen protector.

Back at home I took it off, and wow! It looks so much better, the colors are way more intense. I also think, the touchscreen responds better

However, my wife mainly uses the Adam at home, just to have Internet outside. So no carrying it around in a handbag, etc. I don't know how scratch-resistant the screen is.

I hope I could help,
    Sven

Thanks
    after using the touchpad with the IPS panel the Adam qi version with matte on looked so cheap I barely wanted to use it. Same with anyone that see's them both, they go for the touchpad. I took the protector off Adam two days ago and wow much brighter and felt like a new toy. Only thing I notice is that without the protector my finger doesn't slide for gestures as easily.
    *Running JB-ROM CM10.1 for ADAM [WIP] - Alpha1, w/webcam drivers built in.*
    Research in progress: hardware USB webcam install to replace stock 3.2mp camera w/CM10.1 Borkata alpha build

Remove Ads