Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zero feel/ others - shed light on NI -TR relation?

Regular
    Thanks

Zero feel/ others - shed light on NI -TR relation?

Guys,

I posted a thread on my blog asking for information on NI/TR relation. You can respond here, on my post, or to me by email.

I think it is helpful for people to know.

jksaur.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/notion-ink-and-tabletroms-what-is-the-working-relation/

PS- its not an attack on TR which I greatly respect, so don't jump to conclusions.

Thanks
    No disputing a single line of what you've said. Had it not been for TabletRoms team NI & Adam would have been history by now. But with the steady run towards Honeycomb, TR has give Adam a good and life saving breather. If now just imagine the situation

- Adam on Android 2.x
    - Very few apps shipped with Adam itself ( few high quality )
    - No access to market so no additional apps
    - No progress in terms of announcements and releases other than *New boot screen*, *new color changed UI*

Rohan has been great at galvanizing support for NI but failed & don't hesitate to say *FAILED* to deliver. Just remember "Greg* from NotionInkFan ? He used to be around so often, but missing now. That is what happens even to the most hardcore guys.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Tabletroms is no different than any other Android development website and my relationship with NI is based purely that of respect and friendship. There is no formal collaboration or game plan, as you said this is our hobby and we do it for the joy it brings others and the friendships we make along the way. Ask every developer in our core group and they will all say its nice to get a donation but its not about the money and If my website went down the drain and my developers moved on so would life. Great example that you all have lived through already was EdenX. Roebeet stepped down from the development and support of EdenX and shortly after someone else took over and pursued his work and several other Roms popped up.

From my recent interview (front of site) it sounds like Notion Ink is waiting on the release of Ice Cream Sandwich and their explanation seems very reasonable and makes sense to me. I predict that ICS will come out and NI will provide you a fresh OS thats publicly available. I foresee communities like mine taking the manufactures work and adding great new features like always and life moving on.

I can't speak for Greg, but I am going to assume he is a human being and he was excited about his toy and after playing with it for awhile he moved on and plays with it on occasion and I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

ZeroFeel
    Last edited by zerofeel; 07-04-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Send me a donation and I will put it towards our community. Your donations buy us software, hardware, bandwidth, devices, and help us fund bounties & contests.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zerofeel For This Useful Post:

Adarsha Marpalli (07-06-2011), baba8d (07-05-2011), Monty (07-05-2011), Neitherfanboy (07-05-2011), nsmathew (07-06-2011), twospirits (07-05-2011), xeke20 (07-06-2011)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amithnarendra View Post
    No disputing a single line of what you've said. Had it not been for TabletRoms team NI & Adam would have been history by now. But with the steady run towards Honeycomb, TR has give Adam a good and life saving breather. If now just imagine the situation

- Adam on Android 2.x
    - Very few apps shipped with Adam itself ( few high quality )
    - No access to market so no additional apps
    - No progress in terms of announcements and releases other than *New boot screen*, *new color changed UI*

Rohan has been great at galvanizing support for NI but failed & don't hesitate to say *FAILED* to deliver. Just remember "Greg* from NotionInkFan ? He used to be around so often, but missing now. That is what happens even to the most hardcore guys.
    Do you realize that most of the Android tablets on the market do not come with the Android market? This has nothing to do with NI and everything to do with Google. NI is not part of the alliance so does not get access to market and other Gapps like gmail. So NI can't really be blamed for this. Besides this is not normally an issue as there are several other markets out there (Amazon is a big one) plus you can side load apps from a download.

To even have put out a Honeycomb update, be it from us here or themselves, is a major feat considering that the source code is not released and never will be. This is another area NI can not really be held at fault as Google made the decision to with hold the source not NI. Also, they did put out a Gingerbread beta for people to play with. No it's not a finished ROM but it does indicate that they are doing something.

Do you "know" what happened to Greg? Or are you hypothesizing that he lost interest in the Adam? His last post on his site specifically says that he has lost time due to circumstances beyond his control.

I have said this before and I will say it again. NI is far from a perfect company but they actually talk with the dev community and help us out. That says a lot about them in my book. Ask the Acer or XOOM guys if they are getting the same kind of treatment.
    In fire and EMS? Check the Play Store for my current apps Code Log and Pumper calc.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to blazingwolf For This Useful Post:

baba8d (07-05-2011), glissom (07-06-2011), Monty (07-05-2011), Neitherfanboy (07-05-2011), nsmathew (07-06-2011), orimame (07-05-2011), Trans (07-07-2011), twospirits (07-05-2011)

Thanks
    I agree that NI is not be blamed for Honeycomb delay or for the other issues. Its a start up and they will learn as they grow but one reason that NI cannot avoid responsibility is for the support. Though I should agree that the support is better then the initial days but still is no where near the acceptable state. It still takes 3-4 days for any question to be replied.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jksaur View Post
    Guys,

I posted a thread on my blog asking for information on NI/TR relation. You can respond here, on my post, or to me by email.

I think it is helpful for people to know.

jksaur.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/notion-ink-and-tabletroms-what-is-the-working-relation/

PS- its not an attack on TR which I greatly respect, so don't jump to conclusions.
    As zerofeel says, there is no official/formal relation between TR and NI. TR is not committed to providing any kind of development or support, and if TR was to die out, support etc would probably continue on e.g. XDA-developers or similar.

That being said, it's no secret that TR does have a good relationship with NI and this relationship helps TR devs better develop things for the Adam. This relationship is quite unique in the sense that it's rare that companies are willing to help open source developers make better releases for their devices. It's a mutual benefitial relationship, sure, but as mentioned, TR consists of entirely volountary developers, who does things as long as they find it funny. When we don't find it funny anymore, we'll stop. Hopefully someone else will take over, or NI will have reached critical mass to keep it going.

That being said, how long does one really expect a device like the NI Adam to last? Hardware-wise, it will be outdated by the end of the year, with quad-core tablets coming out (hopefully). What then? Should NI keep supporting it? For how long? NI is a business and has to make money. Realisticly, they can only support current-gen products for so long before it becomes a burden...

Anyways, that's my 2c Oppinions in this are my own entirely and not any official view of TabletRoms.
    HTC Desire (CM7)
    Notion Ink Adam LCD/3G (EdenX, Linux)
    Asus Transformer
    Appreciate my work? buy me a beer!

Thanks
    Small question to zerofeel: How much money have NI tilll date donated to TR?

Dont mind but I Love TR, a great fan of Beast Rom, HC16. Please keep doing the same and All aroung the world will support you for such a great ane extraordinary work you do. Deserve to get donation or may be also you could have charged for some roms

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayman View Post
    As zerofeel says, there is no official/formal relation between TR and NI. TR is not committed to providing any kind of development or support, and if TR was to die out, support etc would probably continue on e.g. XDA-developers or similar.

That being said, it's no secret that TR does have a good relationship with NI and this relationship helps TR devs better develop things for the Adam. This relationship is quite unique in the sense that it's rare that companies are willing to help open source developers make better releases for their devices. It's a mutual benefitial relationship, sure, but as mentioned, TR consists of entirely volountary developers, who does things as long as they find it funny. When we don't find it funny anymore, we'll stop. Hopefully someone else will take over, or NI will have reached critical mass to keep it going.

That being said, how long does one really expect a device like the NI Adam to last? Hardware-wise, it will be outdated by the end of the year, with quad-core tablets coming out (hopefully). What then? Should NI keep supporting it? For how long? NI is a business and has to make money. Realisticly, they can only support current-gen products for so long before it becomes a burden...

Anyways, that's my 2c Oppinions in this are my own entirely and not any official view of TabletRoms.
    100% agree with everything you said about the length of hardware support. I think a few generations of updates is customary and from there. Usually from there the rom developers and dev community steps in.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zerofeel; 07-05-2011 at 03:19 AM.

Send me a donation and I will put it towards our community. Your donations buy us software, hardware, bandwidth, devices, and help us fund bounties & contests.

Regular
    Thanks
    Thank you guys. Those are to-the-point answers, and I will update my post by tomorrow with a link to this thread.

At the end of the day, it's not about whether an approach is right or wrong, but it's about transparency. This, along with many other things, takes a little step towards that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jksaur View Post
    At the end of the day, it's not about whether an approach is right or wrong, but it's about transparency. This, along with many other things, takes a little step towards that.
    It may be good customer relations for NI to be "transparent," but they don't owe it to us. We are customers, not shareholders. We may not like how NI runs, but it's not our business, it's theirs. And Tabletroms owes us no "transparency" in any regard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads