Thread: A few simple questions about developing on the Adam

Thanks

A few simple questions about developing on the Adam

I've been working on some Java programs, learning a lot along the way, and want to get into the Android programming world. I forced myself for a couple months to make sure I have a better handle on Java before I got into Android. A few months ago I played a bit with Android SDK, simple hello world stuff, button presses, etc, did OK with the emulator and got stuff to run OK on my G1. But I was pretty lost as Java was new to me, and thus I put Android on hold.

But now I'm just about ready to port some stuff to Android.

I have two simple questions.

I read the other thread about the ADB and drivers, but did not try it yet. But in general, I should be able to do debugging using my Adam like i did with my G1, correct ? Also, I'm on HC16 but would be OK with dropping back to Froyo - or can I just stay in HC16 ?

Secondly - Anyone know if XML-RPC works Ok in Android ? Nothing fancy, but from what I've been able to find on the web, it looks doable.

Thanks for any ideas

Resident
    Thanks
    Yes, you can debug on your adam, if it's connected with the USB cable and the debugging option is checked in the settings. You can do it on HC. I did it with a camera app that I compiled from Google's sources and got to the line where it crashed (which didn't help - it's a kernel/driver problem).

Regular
    Thanks
    I have heard people do xml-RPC on it but I personally have not tried it. Though I tried to use JAVA RMI and that does not work!

Thanks
    Just as an update, my programming project is going well, using info on the USB-INF file in a previous thread I made an AVD, and have been able to debug on both my Adam and my old G1. Can't directly deploy to my Atrix, but haven't pursued that yet as I'm OK so far using the Adam.

Most of my problems and hair pulling is more regarding Eclipse than about either Java or the Adam. But for all my questions so far the answers are out there, there's always some who's already asked the questions, and gotten good answers.

I also got the XML-RPC working well. Turns out Android is not as close to Java as I thought, and some things (especially UI stuff) work quite differently, but there are always solutions.

So I'm excited as I'm actually now writing real programs, and deploying them on the Adam. Nowhere near what the ROM gurus are doing here, and never will be, but it's fun to work on.

Current issue is my UI looks like a phone (too small on the tablet, we've all seen apps that do that) but I haven't chased that one down yet.

Regular
    Thanks
    It would be great if you could give some info on what your project is about

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anc_k View Post
    It would be great if you could give some info on what your project is about
    Basically, a thin client.
    I work for a software company , our main product is basically a database. I'm working on an app that can communicate (via XMLRPC) to the desktop app. For the most part, it requests a report, the desktop app generates that report, then sends it back to the andoid app when it's ready.

I have a version working in Delphi (our primary language), and in Java, and now I'm working on the Android version. All in all it's pretty simple but there is the learning curve for me. Since I write the other side (the server side) I can do whatever is needed on that side to send and receive the requests and data.

Regular
    Thanks
    ooooo!!! sounds kool!!

Remove Ads