Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Okay, who's willing to compile VLC for Android?

Resident
    Thanks

We now have VLC for Android!

Hello! We now have working instances of VLC as per the latest sources (as of March 2012) compiled for Android on ARM.

Updated version (Mediafire, v 20120320) for testing, compiled with GCC 4.6 - please test and report.

[There are two separate builds at the moment, one for ICS and one for a 2.1 target, which should work for Froyo / Gingerbread ROMs. Testing is underway.

As of now, these builds do not have Tegra 2 optimisations, which were used for earlier versions posted here. Hardware acceleration is also to be implemented.]

All credit for this goes to dima_tr.

If you're interested, please download, install and test the builds for us. Any sort of feedback and debug info is welcome.

----original post----

It can be done! YES!

Read this HOW-TO.

A VLC developer's blog post from February 2011.

One of the active threads on the VLC forum.
    Last edited by dune; 03-26-2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Updates

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dune For This Useful Post:

dexterpicard (08-11-2011)

Thanks
    Holy moly, it compiles fine (in one place I had to clean .cpp code)! I have an .apk, installing fine and even launching the application without a crash. BUT, I can not figure out how to add files to the media library - .avi or .mp3 files are not listed in the internal VLC browser. Debugging java part.

The .apk you can get from the filehosting.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dima_tr For This Useful Post:

aman9393 (08-07-2011), dune (08-06-2011), faarao (08-07-2011)

Resident
    Thanks
    A zillion thanks!

We need people like you to make this community roll!

Ps: at 5.29 MB, vlc seems to be too small. You perhaps need more codecs to be included to get avi and mp3 detected? Did you try the command line option by naming the file directly?
    Last edited by dune; 08-06-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Resident
    Thanks
    Hi, I've checked:

1. No command line VLC
    2. Selecting the sdcard2 directory as a media folder under settings makes VLC crash continually and it won't work again until you force stop and clear data from Manage Applications
    3. Doesn't play avi or mpe files when selecting through ES File Manager, just exits without any feedback, meaning possible codec issue

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dune View Post
    Ps: at 5.29 MB, vlc seems to be too small. You perhaps need more codecs to be included to get avi and mp3 detected? Did you try the command line option by naming the file directly?
    all plugins/codecs are statically linked into libvlcjni.so (12 MB stripped). I can see that in the link rule. On my Ubuntu /usr/lib/vlc/plugins take the same 10-11 MB.
    Last edited by dima_tr; 08-06-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks
    I'll try changing the default target Android 2.3 to 3.0, which suites my AdamComb. So expect other builds for testing.

Thanks
    native side crashes, namely libavcodec, a part of ffmpeg plugin. This plugin is used for playing .avi and .mp3 (of course I had two files of these two types ), and crashed on the very first touch when parsing media folder and estimating media length (by fast playing it). I suspect the problem is in the build script which says "checkout the latest svn version from ffmpeg Subversion and build a library". The thing is FFMPEG is moved to Git, "The last revision committed to SVN was r26402 on 2011-01-19". Really, I would not expect this January version runs ok on Android. Soooo, I'll try to hack the script making "git clone" instead of "svn co".

Resident
    Thanks
    Hmm, it should be interesting. It did not work on mp4 or 3gp either. If you build with an HC target, will it run on EdenX? I am not moving. Further, VLC has been running on obsolete Linux versions too.

Thanks
    Alright, it works checked on mp3 and mkv test files. Compiled for target-8 (which is Android 2.2), should be fine for all ROMs.
    Get the apk from the hosting and don't forget to enjoy!

The problem was in the stupid NEON optimization switched on by default (Cortex-8 CPU arch). In addition to that, FFMPEG Git rep is used now, one of the stable revisions. This is definitely more fresh than January 2011 svn version.
    The next step is to compile the thing with the optimization flags for Tegra 2 platform.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dima_tr For This Useful Post:

bearsfan85 (08-08-2011), dune (08-07-2011), nimmvier (08-11-2011), zkar (08-12-2011)

Resident
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
    Alright, it works checked on mp3 and mkv test files. Compiled for target-8 (which is Android 2.2), should be fine for all ROMs.
    Get the apk from the hosting and don't forget to enjoy!

The problem was in the stupid NEON optimization switched on by default (Cortex-8 CPU arch). In addition to that, FFMPEG Git rep is used now, one of the stable revisions. This is definitely more fresh than January 2011 svn version.
    The next step is to compile the thing with the optimization flags for Tegra 2 platform.
    Fantastic work! I strongly suggest you put a FAQ post, so that it becomes a permanent, comprehensive resource!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads