Thread: Getting Android to see a ppp connection (e.g. 3G USB)

Resident
    Thanks

Getting Android to see a ppp connection (e.g. 3G USB)

Hi, I'm posting this to get the attention of developers among you and the Elite Team members - especially blazingwolf, mbmad, RaYmAn, WinnerGold (where is he?) and MrGuy.

The background is that using the 3G USB modem connection method developed and perfected on TabletRoms, one can get connected to the network and browse, but many of the applications as well as the system fail to see the connection, and therefore don't work. For example, the browser can't download a file, Market won't download APKs etc. Also, Google Talk won't.

One way out of this is to use an RIL for the modem you plug in, but as each manufacturer and technology (EVDO vs. GSM) need a different RIL, getting a one-size-fits-all solution through it might not be possible.

I was trying to find out how the Android system detects if there is a network data connection, and then tells various applications to use it. I came upon this resource about the ConnectivityManager class on the official Android Developers website.

This class does the very thing I mentioned above, and it specifies various constants linked to various connectivity types. Unfortunately, no mention of TYPE_PPP, which is what the 3G USB modems use. However, there is the TYPE_MOBILE_DUN, which seems to be close. Curiously, there is no int 0x00000008.

It would be great if someone could dig deeper into this issue and see if a TYPE_PPP could be included, or if TYPE_MOBILE_DUN could be used in some way. I have no technical knowledge, so I don't know how this would be possible, but I can help you check the proposed solution.

This would be a really great and unique achievement if we are successful.
    Last edited by dune; 07-24-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: link highlighting

Thanks
    Subscribed.
    I will be available too, for testing, after 16th Aug.
    Thanks dune for making this topic.

Sent from my GT-I5801 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    thanx dune for the topic...........i hope we get some success........ but we have more serious issues like camera and a very stable HC with lot of fixes so may be devs wont look upon this as a priority..........

Resident
    Thanks
    Yes, I understand. However, the difference is that the camera issue could be solved very easily if NI had any hold over Malata or the camera manufacturer in order to get firmware blobs for other kernel versions, and in case of Honeycomb, to become a partner with Google. As it is, the distribution of ROMs with the euphemistic purpose of testing them is a direct violation of copyright. This is all the more ironic because the same developers and users (including me) who would readily stand up to defend against any attack on GPL would encourage ROM distribution with a wink and a nod.

On the other hand, working on the already open source framework for Froyo and Gingerbread would be easy, clear in terms of legality and contribute to knowledge building. In those terms, this would be a very interesting project to work upon, should somebody have the inclination.

By the way, I mean in no way to undermine the efforts being made by the developers on the kernel, HC port etc. I really appreciate all of that work and am grateful that they have finally made the Adam an actually usable tablet, whichever flavour you choose.

Remove Ads