View Poll Results: Do you Guy want me to make this a DIY?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Adam Dock Station

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by erian_7 View Post
    It's an interesting idea. For the Goliath question, I'd recommend having it "convertible" with some sort of snap-in insert for folks that don't have the Adamant products. Also, you might consider the device standing on edge in landscape rather than in portrait. That will allow the device to drop straight into the connectors and keeps the SD card accessible. Another option might be a hinged connector side, so you drop the Adam in place and then flip the whole thing back over into the stand.
    The problem with docking the adam in portrait mode is that the power button would then be on the bottom (unavailable). If you tried the adam the other way in portrait you would block the captive buttons.
    Good idea!
    As for the SD card accessible... if you are swapping the card the tablet needs to be off!!! Otherwise there could be file corruption....so i hope you are not pulling that while the tablet is on!

THANKS FOR THE IDEAS!!!!! I really do appreciate it! bouncing ideas is how things are developed.

Thanks
    I posted I would have the 3D pic up last night but that did not happen....LONG day
    Sorry.
    But as promised here it is:
    Dock 3d view.jpg

The other idea i have floating around is that there should be a clock on it. What do you guys think?
    Thought this because I would put this on my bedside table or movie room...it is always nice to have a clock in those rooms.

Let me know what you guys think!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Useful Post:

twospirits (09-02-2011)

Thanks
    For the power button, I was thinking if it's some sort of rubber "push" system anyway, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to add an arm-and-lever/spring system that can still access the power even from the bottom. With the Adam set thusly, I could easily switch it off, swap out a SD card (say, one that has my movies on it rather than the music I had playing at first), then power back up. The key here for me is that the SD card is one of the primary reasons I bought an Adam (I'm one of the earliest receivers from PO1)--rather than dropping lots of cash on expensive internal memory or a larger SD card, I just buy multiple 8 GB cards and purpose-load them with relevant material.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by erian_7 View Post
    For the power button, I was thinking if it's some sort of rubber "push" system anyway, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to add an arm-and-lever/spring system that can still access the power even from the bottom. With the Adam set thusly, I could easily switch it off, swap out a SD card (say, one that has my movies on it rather than the music I had playing at first), then power back up. The key here for me is that the SD card is one of the primary reasons I bought an Adam (I'm one of the earliest receivers from PO1)--rather than dropping lots of cash on expensive internal memory or a larger SD card, I just buy multiple 8 GB cards and purpose-load them with relevant material.
    I to was one of those PO1 people!
    Let me see what i can come up with...

Thanks
    Sure thing...another thought, you could mount it upside down, i.e. with the rounded edge down, and keep access open to everything except the camera. Of course, this creates problems if someone wants to use the stand for, say, video conferencing. And on the flip side (literally), having the device mount right-side up would cover the microphone and so could also be problematic to certain use cases.

The hinge option, really, could get the best of having access to the SD card but not complicating the power switch.

Alternately, putting the volume rocker on the down side might be a best-case scenario as it gets the camera in a good angle for use, keeps the mic open along with access to the SD card, and puts the power switch and other connections on top for easy access. In this configuration, the top would probably be a strip of some sort that hits all the connectors and locks the Adam in place for stability.

And an integrated USB SD card reader might solve access to the SD card slot.

Heh, I'm just flipping the Adam around and seeing what comes to mind for benefits vs. issues...

Thanks
    Walt? Meet your business partner erian_7 :-D This man has ideas

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I posted I would have the 3D pic up last night but that did not happen....LONG day
    Sorry.

The other idea i have floating around is that there should be a clock on it. What do you guys think?
    Thought this because I would put this on my bedside table or movie room...it is always nice to have a clock in those rooms.

Let me know what you guys think!
    I think it would be a little odd to have a clock on it, since the Adam is a clock as well. Unless you were designing this to be beautiful as a standalone piece as well, nice to look at when there's no Adam in it.

Also, I'm not sure looking at your drawing, are you intending the right edge to be angled outward at the base a bit? I'm also not sure if you intended the Adam to hang off the open left side a bit, but I think throwing some asymmetry in the design like that would be really interesting. My 10 second sketch below.

adam.jpg

Would also be nice if the front panel/section/lip of the dock that holds the Adam in would be as thin as possible and still be structurally sound. Apologies for offering too many opinions, you have a good start here though so thought I'd share a few thoughts
    Last edited by vt220; 09-01-2011 at 02:41 PM.
    anc_k likes this.

Thanks
    I like that idea. How about a collapsible unit.

This could be the front view.

The upper right side, swings out..

The Dock port is extended...

You slide in the Adam...

The Adam is fully docked...

As you can see from the side view the on/off switch is accessible and not covered.

if you like the design or the concept, then go for it and modify it to your liking.

TS out
    Attached Images Attached Images
    anc_k, Alexadam and aum like this.

We are the Android, we will assimilate you.
    Want to make this place better, just ask the staff. Remember, the "No' is always there, you are just looking for the "Yes".
    Members, please read the Guidelines otherwise Banlandia awaits.

Find me on Google + or twitter

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twospirits For This Useful Post:

malosiak (01-01-2012)

Thanks
    That looks nice TS

12. The Following User Says Thank You to talmeeno For This Useful Post:

twospirits (09-03-2011)

Thanks
    Hey guys-
    I have been really busy lately so i have not finished the drawings. Papers and the new job (designing entirely new interaction center for student and staff for new tech)!
    Does anyone know if I can put android onto a Motion Computing M1200 tablet pc? It is an old computer that needs new life. LOL

@twospirits I really like the idea for a portable unit. What program did you make the images in?

@erian-7 I had already started thinking/designing a unit like the one you describe. I should have those up soon.

I was thinking the dock unit should be nice to look at even when the adam is not in it...that is why I was thinking having a clock built in.
    The plan for the dock is still to keep it as slim as possible.
    The portable one will be even more slim.

I have come up with a design that may allow users to determine weather or not they want the dock to work with the Goliath case or without a case....
    This thought could also make it possible to use the dock for other tablets not just the N.I. adam!

Hope to update soon (possibly this weekend)!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads